Sunday, August 16, 2009

JW / Electronica Classics 025: Underworld Live in Oakland 2009


For the 25th installment of the Classics series, I thought I'd post a set that, while very recent, probably merits the "instant classic" classification.

Underworld holds a special place in my heart. It was their single, "Kittens", that was the first MP3 file I ever downloaded to my computer, way back in early 1999. Their "Beaucoup Fish" album was also the first CD I ever listened to in my first new car, a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta. In the 10 years since, I've purchased each of their commercial releases, and have watched their "Underworld Live - Everything Everything" DVD more times than is probably considered healthy.

Given that brief background, you can likely appreciate how excited I was to see this post from 9to5Mac come through my Google Reader feed two Fridays ago, passing along a last-minute announcement that Underworld would be doing a live concert broadcast to iPhones later that evening. As luck would have it, I didn't have plans to go out that night, so I grabbed my headphones, iPhone, and my laptop to keep up with this thread on their fan site during the performance. I have to say, it was pretty cool getting to watch a live concert on my phone & see fans call out track IDs in real time on a message board.

From a musical stand point, Underworld demonstrates they are clearly firing on all cylinders. As you'll see from the track list below, they touched on almost each of their hit songs, sadly (for me) only missing "Kittens". For even a casual Underworld fan, this is perhaps the best recording of the group to come along in at least 5 years.

Underworld - Live at Fox Theatre Oakland 2009-08-07
Megaupload Link / Rapidshare Link

01 - Intro
02 - Nu Train / Dark Train
03 - Cowgirl
04 - Two Months Off
05 - Push Upstairs / Cups
06 - Beautiful Burnout
07 - Small Conker and a Twix / You Do Scribble
08 - Between Stars
09 - King of Snake
10 - Born Slippy (NUXX)
11 - Pearl's Girl
12 - Jumbo
13 - Spikee
14 - Moaner

No comments: