Sunday, November 08, 2009

Excellent Article On Social Media Ethics



I just shared this link with my ethics professor via e-mail, but thought it was notable enough to post here, too, as I believe it raises some very poignant ethical questions.

I'm a pretty strong advocate of social media & a fairly heavy user of it, but this article will likely make me take pause the next time I think about whipping out my iPhone to snap a picture when I witness something newsworthy. It's important to self-filter some things, even in times of crises like the Fort Hood shootings or the Iranian election protests. Deciding "what" to self-filter in an age of social media permeation represents one of the most interesting ethical questions of our time.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/07/nsfw-after-fort-hood-another-example-of-how-citizen-journalists-cant-handle-the-truth/

No comments: