Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thoughts On The Crystal Method At House of Blues Houston


Really great show in Houston last night. There were songs from all 4 of their studio albums, although I'd say Vegas got the heaviest treatment. Which was awesome. :)

The two highlights were extended remixes of "Cherry Twist" & "Born Too Slow". Ironically I'm not even a big fan of the original "Born Too Slow", but their live version blew me away. A true sonic assault. They only played two or three songs off their new album, including "Come Back Clean" & the title track "Divided By Night". It was pretty cool seeing Scott do the vocals live on that last one. For an encore, it was a crowd-pleasing rendition of "Trip Like I Do."

We stuck around after the show for the meet & greet upstairs. The guys said they had a really good time in NOLA the evening before, and mentioned enjoying dinner at Dickie Brennan's Steak House. I also got to pick Scott's brain for about 15 minutes about their creative processes for several of the tracks on the new album. Of note, "Black Rainbows" was originally intended to be entirely instrumental before they heard Stephanie King Warfield sing. She's the wife of Justin Warfield, who provided the vocals for the "Kling To The Wreckage" track on the album.

Alas, I didn't bring my digital camera with me to the show since the tickets + website were pretty adamant about a No Camera Policy. In hindsight, I could've smuggled in an entire television crew since there were no metal detectors or pat downs at the door, and others had cameras in the venue with no harassment from security. However, I did snap about 30 pictures with my iPhone, so I've uploaded those to Flickr:

The Crystal Method at House of Blues Houston


If you get the opportunity to catch one of the remaining shows on this tour, I highly encourage it.

No comments: