Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Music Monday - The Marsalis Family - A Jazz Celebration


I first listened to this album sitting in the Southwest Airlines terminal at BWI Airport in May 2006, and it's been one of my favorite jazz albums ever since.

Bringing together Ellis Marsalis with his 4 sons, "A Jazz Celebration" was recorded live in New Orleans in 2001.  If there's a royal family of jazz, it's clearly that of Ellis Marsalis, and this performance lives up to such expectations.

My favorite track on the album is the cover of Louis Armstrong's "Struttin' With Some Barbecue".  In fact, I liked the rendition so much that it's been the default ringtone on my iPhone for over two years.

You can download the album on Amazon via the link below.  It's one of my strongest recommendations for anyone interested in a classic New Orleans jazz sound.

The Marsalis Family - A Jazz Celebration

No comments: