Friday, September 10, 2010

Thirsty Thursday - Abita Amber

Abita Amber Bottle

Oh, Abita Amber.  You're still my favorite beer nearly a decade after we were first introduced.  If ever a beverage was to be present throughout multiple stages of my life, this was certainly the one.

Each year for Mardi Gras while I was studying at Tulane, I'd stock my dorm room fridge with a few different items.  12 cans of Red Bull for making Red Bull & vodkas.  Some Cokes to make rum & Cokes.  A few bottles of wine.  A 12 pack of Budweiser for random guests who would come over to bum booze.  And a case of Abita Amber for me & my friends.

Before I moved to Delaware in 2005, I bought 4 cases of Abita Amber to transport with me to my new home for fear I wouldn't be able to find it on the East Coast.  Aside from wanting to enjoy a bottle occasionally, I thought bringing some to share with my new friends in the Air Force would be a good way to bond.  Fortunately, I discovered that Abita Amber was indeed available in Dover, Delaware, so I didn't have to be quite so selective about when or with whom I shared a bottle.

Thankfully since moving to Texas, Abita Amber is easy to find at most grocery stores and liquor stores in the state.  This means during crawfish season, Abita Amber can be the beverage of choice.  Saints football starting back for the fall?  Abita Amber again.

I've enjoyed bottles of Abita Amber with my cousins inside a barn in Lynn, Alabama.  I've enjoyed Abita Amber with Air Force buddies at Jacques-Imo's on the Upper West side of Manhattan.  And, yes, I've enjoyed bottles of Abita Amber with my wife & little brother at the Dragon's Den in New Orleans.

It's kind of a neat feeling to have a wealth of positive memories and emotions rush back just by way of having a beverage with dinner.  I've developed that kind of intimate connection with this particular brew.

Photographs of the bottle enjoyed this evening are illustrated below.

Abita Amber Carton

Abita Amber Six Pack

Abita Amber Six Pack Overhead

Abita Amber Bottle

Abita Amber Label

Abita Amber Bottle Cap

Abita Amber Back Label

No comments: