Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Music Monday - Who Dat? New Orleans Party Songs


During last year's 2009 New Orleans Saints Super Bowl winning season, I was eager to watch, read, or listen to anything about the team I could find.

The week before I traveled to Auburn University for the Iron Bowl, I loaded up this album on my iPhone to get in the spirit for the upcoming Monday Night Football matchup between the Saints and Patriots.  If you follow professional football, you may recall that the Saints executed a near flawless performance that evening, with Drew Brees posting amazing stats.

Many of the tracks on this album were recorded in the late 80s and early 90s.  My favorite track on the album is "The NFL Strike Song" which was written in response the 1980s players' strike.  The following lyrics from that song are hilariously cheesy, but I find myself randomly thinking about the words on a semi-frequent basis:

Who dat say dey wanna play football
Who dat say dey gonna win
Let's get all these contracts done
And play some ball again  

With the start of the 2010 Saints season starting on Thursday night against the Vikings, this album seemed like a natural choice for this week's Music Monday series.  It'll be in heavy rotation on my iPod over the next few days!

You can download the album on Amazon here.

No comments: